The Ohio/Penn Dx PacketCluster
DX Bulletin No. 1156.5
April 3, 2014
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)
Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet Clusters Network and K5GS for the following DX information.
VK9M, MELLISH REEF (Update)
The VK9MT Pilot station sent out the following important updates over the past 24 hours:
April 2, 16:45 local:
1. We know of the recent earthquake in Chile. The boat has an on-board tsunami alert system that tracks our position against the event. The skipper informs us that we are not in any danger whatsoever. However, he did say if we see him running, we would best be right behind him.Mellish Reef Weather Alert #1 -- For immediate release:
2. We've had some e-mail server problems but they now seem to be resolved, we are sending and receiving e-mail. The logs were sent to our QSL manager. If you get duplicate e-mails please delete as necessary. I don't have the time to fix the distribution lists.
3. The team is now well into a daily operating routine, which, weather permitting, we will follow for the rest of the expedition.
4. The equipment continues to work well. We are aware there was a CW keying issue with one of the stations, this should now be resolved.
5. The 160 antenna is installed and should get a workout tonight.
6. The pile-ups continue to be energetic and fun. We're getting good cooperation from the DX community, although at times things can get chaotic when the pile-up attempts to control the operator. We know our call sign, please don't repeat it to us.
7. We want you in the log, so please follow the op's instructions. Team Mellish 2014
At 0700, April 3rd (local) we plan the following:
1. All unnecessary equipment will be removed from the island, leaving just the operating tents, radio equipment, generators and antennas.As news develops we will send out additional information. The only source for VK9MT Mellish Reef information will be these bulletins. Team Mellish 2014
2. Depending on the intensity of the weather we may be forced to terminate the operation early. Another alternative is to temporarily leave the island and return when safe.
3. Any decision to modify or terminate the operation is at least 24 hours away. The safety of the DX-pedition team and the crew is the first priority.
4. To better use the time on the island we ask that band fills be suspended and only people that need Mellish Reef for and All Time New One call us.
5. For at least the next 24 hours we will focus our attention to those bands that drive highest rates to maximize ATNOs.
Mellish Reef Weather Alert #2 - April 3, 1535 (local)
The weather continues to change. Last night there were torrential downpours and high winds.
The antennas survived with no damage, the break tent took on some water through an open window. The operating tents maintained their integrity and no equipment was damaged. Today it has been hot and humid, with high winds.
We removed non essential equipment and several antennas, including the 160 antenna, from the island. Tonight we will try to keep at least 3 stations on the air. Tomorrow morning we will remove all remaining equipment from the island and head towards Australia.
We do not yet have a destination identified, it will depend on the winds and sea conditions. Eventually, we will return to Mackay.
Even if the storm subsides it is unlikely we will have enough time to return to the island.
Team Mellish Reef 2014
PLEASE NOTICE (as of February 12, 2007), NEW ADDRESS CHANGES FOR THE OPDX INTERNET HELP/SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST:
Help: email@example.com Subject:help
Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject:subscribe
Unsubscribe: email@example.com Subject:unsubscribe
OPDX WORLD-WIDE WEB HOME (provided by John, K8YSE (firstname.lastname@example.org):
ALSO VISIT THE NORTHERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE: