The Ohio/Penn Dx PacketCluster
DX Bulletin No. 672
Auugust 16, 2004
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF-80 BBS Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet Clusters Network, AA1M, K1XN & GoList, NC1L, KE2LJ, NG3K, W3UR & The Daily DX, N4AA & QRZ DX, W4WX, W5BOS, K8YSE, N8MR, DL1EK & The DX News Letter, DL2FAG, EA8CAC, F5CWU & La Gazette du DX, F5NQL & UFT, G0IAS, GM4SUC, HA9SU, HP1AC, I1JQJ/IK1ADH & 425 DX News, IN3VZE, JA1ELY, JI6KVR & JA-IOTA Islands News, LA9VDA, LU5WW, LU9ESD, M0BBB/5B4AFM, OH2HAN, OK1MU, PS7AB, SP5XSD, VA3RJ & ICPO, VK2CE, VK2XQ, YL1ZF and ZS4BS for the following DX information.
DXCC COUNTRY/ENTITY REPORT
According to the AR-Cluster Network for the week of Sunday, 8th/August, through Sunday, 15th/August there were 209 countries active. Countries available: 3A, 3B8, 3B9, 3D2, 3DA, 3V, 3W, 4J, 4L, 4S, 4X, 5B, 5H, 5N, 5R, 5U, 5V, 5W, 5X, 5Z, 6W, 6Y, 7P, 7Q, 7X, 8P, 9A, 9H, 9J, 9K, 9L, 9M2, 9M6, 9V, 9Y, A2, A3, A4, A6, A7, A9, AP, BV, BY, C3, CE, CE9, CM, CN, CP, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D2, D4, DL, DU, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, EK, EL, EP, ER, ES, EU, EX, EZ, F, FG, FJ, FK, FM, FO, FP, FR, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GU, GW, H4, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HL, HP, HR, HS, HZ, I, IS, J2, J6, J7, J8, JA, JT, JW, JX, JY, K, KH0, KH2, KH6, KH9, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OD, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P2, P4, PA, PJ2, PY, PZ, S2, S5, S9, SM, SP, ST, SU, SV, SV/a, SV5, SV9, T2, T5, T7, T9, TA, TF, TG, TI, TJ, TK, TR, TT, TU, TY, UA, UA2, UA9, UK, UN, UR, V3, V4, V5, V7, V8, VE, VK, VP2E, VP2M, VP5, VP8/h, VP9, VQ9, VR, VU, XE, XU, YA, YB, YI, YJ, YK, YL, YN, YO, YU, YV, Z2, Z3, ZA, ZB, ZC4, ZD7, ZF, ZK1/s, ZL, ZP, ZS
* PLEASE NOTE: The report "could" contain "Pirate/SLIM" operations or more likely a "BUSTED CALLSIGN". As always, you never know - "Work First Worry Later" (WFWL).
Ely, IN3VZE, will be active once again from the west shore of Lake Malawi using the callsign 7Q7CE from September 9-23rd. Activity will be on all band 160-10 meters. QSL via his home callsign IN3VZE, direct or by the Bureau.
Allen, G0IAS, reports to OPDX that, "The dulcet tones of 7Q7HB, Harry, will once again be coming from Club Makokola, on the South West shores of Lake Malawi as from about the 12th August... length of stay not known at this time... but at least 6 weeks." QSL ONLY DIRECT to G0IAS (NO BUREAU cards accepted). Return stamp/postage is needed (DO NOT bother about envelopes.... G0IAS will supply). Allan also informed OPDX that he is hoping to go down to Malawi before the year's end and be active as 7Q7RM.
Binu, VU2NGB, will be active as AT0B from Vypin Island (no IOTA number), near Kochi City in India, during the CQ WW DX CW Contest (November 27-28th) as a Single-Op/Low-Power entry. Look for him on 7009 and 14019 kHz. Please QSL direct to: GPO Box 2235, Sydney, NSW 2001, Australia.
Bill Moore, NC1L, ARRL DXCC Manager, informs OPDX of the following Somalia 6O/T5 operations: "Effective immediately, the ARRL DXCC Branch will accept QSLs for operation taking place in the Somaliland (northwestern Somalia) and Puntland (northeastern Somalia) autonomous areas as well as the southern and central areas of Somalia. Operations possessing written permission from any recognized authority that is acknowledged to be in control of a particular region will be accredited. These QSLs will count for the Somali Democratic Republic (Somalia). QSLs for past operations will be accepted where proper documentation has been submitted. This is subject to change based on future developments in Somalia."
Look for Champ, E21EIC, to be active during the CQ/RJ DX RTTY Contest (September 25-26th) as a Single-Op/All-Band/Low-Power entry. QSL via E21EIC.
FK, NEW CALEDONIA
Eleven operators/members from the Mitsubishi Electric Tokyo ARC (JM1YGG) will be active as FK/JM1YGG and FK/homecall between September 16-19th. Operators mentioned are: JA1BAB, JA1IWP, JA1RNO, JA1RTG, JR1KHM, JI1EOP, JJ1EWN, JK1EBA, JA3RAF, JR3OET, and JF3IPR. They plan to operate on 80-10 meters CW, SSB and FM. They are not sure about the digital mode at this time. QSL via JM1YGG, direct or by the bureau. The JM1YGG, Mitsubishi Electric Tokyo Amateur Radio Club's, address is: 2-1-1 Marunouchi, Tokyo, 100-8310 JAPAN.
HH4, HAITI (Update)
Just a reminder that Jan, K4QD, will be here for two weeks and will be active as HH4/K4QD during his spare time (See OPDX.671). He states that he will upload his log to LoTW when he returns.
EU-056. Operators Bjorn/LA5UKA and Trond/LA9VDA will be active as homecall/p from Gossen Island, August 20-25th. QSL via their home callsign per (QRZ.com).
OC-155. Lanny, W5BOS, will activate Pulap (Pollap) Island, West Chuuk, Fed. States of Micronesia, October 18-23rd. His callsign will be V6O. QSL via N6AWD.
Operators AC8G, K8LEE, KC8JAY, W8GEX, W8ILC and possibly others will be active during the CQ WW DX SSB Contest (October 30-31st) as a Multi-Multi entry. Callsign will be announced later. Look for activity on various modes and bands a day or so before and after the contest.
J42. GREECE (Also IOTA Op.)
Stavros, M0BBB/5B4AFM, will be active as J42004A from Skopelos (EU-072) and Athens, between August 17th and September 1st. Activity will be on 20 meters (and possibly 30m) using 100 watts and dipole. By the way, this is a special callsign to help celebrate the Olympics in Athens. QSL via M0BBB via the Bureau or direct.
KG4, GUANTANAMO BAY (Cancelled Trip!)
Bill/W4WX (aka KG4DX), member of the Florida DXPedition Group, was expected to be active here last week, but his trip was cancelled. He states, "No seats available for Space A Cat VI.. Sorry, will try again later on."
KH9, WAKE ISLAND
George, AH8H, is now active as KH9/AH8H through the end of the month. His activity has been limited due to his work. Most of his activity has been on 40 and 30 meters CW between 0800 and 1030z.
LIGHTHOUSE ACTIVITY (The ILLW is this coming weekend!)
* Mike, GM4SUC, Organizer and Coordinator of the International Lighthouse/ Lightship Weekend, stated last week that "We now have over 314 confirmed stations in 42 countries......... All we need is some propogation to go with the fun of the weekend." A full list can be found at:
* The Gozo Amateur Radio Society will be active again in this year's ILLW as 9H4GRS/P on Sunday, August 22nd, from Jordan's Lighthouse (MLT03). Activity will be on 20 and 15 meters.
* Members of the Gran Canaria DX Group will be active in the ILLW as ED8FLH from Punta de Jandia Lighthouse (Fuerteventura Island - AF-004, CAI-040, D2790, S006 and DME35015). Activity will be on CW/SSB. The operators mentioned are: EA8DP, EA8CAC, EA8AJW, EA8AZM and EC8ABT. QSL via EA8AKN.
* Jurij, MM0DFV, provided a list of Scottish Lighthouses to be active in this weekend's ILLW. For pictures and detailed information on the following lighthouses, please visit the Scottish Ham Portal at:
SCO-NEW GM3TKV/p - Kingston Beacon QSL via GM3TKV SCO-015 GB2LBN - Barns Ness Lighthouse QSL via GM4UYZ SCO-064 GB2DL - Dunollie Lighthouse QSL via MM1AVR SCO-075 GB2ELH - Eshaness Lighthouse (EU-012) QSL via WA7OBH SCO-089 GB2GNL - Girdle Ness Lighthouse QSL via GM4JLZ SCO-103 MM0MWW - Hoxa Head Lighthouse (EU-009) QSL via MM0EAX SCO-113 GB2MSL - Kinnaird Head Old Lighthouse QSL via GM1JNS SCO-151 GB2NCL - North Carr Lightvessel QSL via GM3NHQ SCO-191 GB2RRL - Rubha Reigh Rua Reidh Lighthouse QSL via GM4CHX SCO-226 GB2SHL - Stoer Head Lighthouse QSL via GM8UPI SCO-245 MM1HMV - Toward Point Lighthouse QSL via MM1HMV SCO-248 GB2LT - Turnberry Lighthouse QSL via GM0JHF SCO-317 MM3STM - Ardrossan Pier Head QSL via MM3STM
* The Panama Canal Amateur Radio Association (PCARA) will operate as HP2L from the Gamboa Lighthouse in the Panama Canal (ARLH No. PAN-027) in the International Lighthouse/Lightship Weekend, August 21-22nd. Activity will be on all modes CW, SSB and PSK31. QSL via HP1IBF or by the Bureau.
* Look for Eagle Harbor, Michigan's (Keweenaw County), Eagle Harbor Lighthouse (USA-253) to be activated in the ILLW, August 21- 22nd, using the special 1x1 callsign K8E. Modes of operation include HF/VHF, CW/SSB, FM Satellite and possible HF digital. Collectors of ARLHS numbers can get credit for three upon request: Eagle Harbor Lighthouse USA-253, Front Range Light USA-254 and Rear Range Light USA-255. QSL via the bureau or direct to N8MR with #10 SASE. The Web page is:
* The "Grupo Titan" (LT7W ) will be active in the ILLW from Faro 'Golfo Nuevo' ('Golfo Nuevo' Lighthouse) ARG-038. QSL information is: P.O.Box 4, 9120-Puerto Madryn, CHUBUT, ARGENTINA. Send S.A.S.E. (w/ 2 IRC - NO GREEN STAMPS). Also, they will confirm the QSOs via the e-QSL system. PLEASE, DON'T SEND QSLs VIA THE BUREAU.
* Emmanuel, LU9ESD (Founding member of th BBDX), informs OPDX that members of the Bahia Blanca DX Group
Grid FF91ia and Buenos Aires Province "/D"). Operators/Stations are: LU6EPR/Ricardo, LU7EVP/Vernon, LU8EHQ/Carlos, LU8EBK/Marcos, LU4DRH/Dario, LU5DEM/Eduardo, LU6DRD/Diego and LU5DRV/Walter. El Rincon Lighthouse: ARG-036, Lat. 39° 23´ S and Long. 62° 01´ W, Grid FF80xo and Buenos Aires Province "/D"). Operators/Stations are: LU9ESD/Emmanuel LU4ETN/Carlos, LU8EBJ/Gabriel, LW3DKC/Sebastan, LW9EVA/Hugo and LW8DMK/Marcelo. Segunda Barranca Lighthouse: ARG-067, Lat. 40° 46´ 34" S and Long. 62° 16´ 27" W, Grid: FE89uf and Buenos Aires Province "/D"). Operators/Stations are: LU7DSY/Carlos, LW8EAG/Gabriel, LU1EUU/Gerardo, LU7AC/Marcelo and LU8DWR/Osmar.
QSL Manager for BBDX ILLW activity is LU7DSY: Carlos Almiron, P.O. Box 709, 8000 Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
* The Grumman Amateur Radio Club will participate in the International Lighthouse/Lightship Weekend August 21st, from the Nantucket Lightship in Oyster Bay, NY. This is the LV112 ship built in 1936 and stationed at Nantucket Shoals from 1936 to 1942, 1945 to 1958, and 1960 to 1975. Callsign will be WA2LQO/LS. QSL to the CBA.
* Simo, OH2HAN, informs OPDX that the Finnish radio club "Kissen Kipina", OH2ET, will be active from a working sea and air Lighthouse, which is also a church at the same time! During their operation, there will be several marriage ceremonies in that church. The Lighthouse is actually situated at the top of the church - at the height of 54.2 metres from the sea level - the highest in Finland. The church is located on Suomenlinna Island in front of Helsinki City. The Lighthouse number is FIN063, and they will be using the callsign OH2ET/LH. QSL via the bureau. They are expected to be on SSB at least on 20 and 80 meters.
* Kevin, VK2CE, informs OPDX that there will be some rare Australian lighthouses in the ILLW event August 21-22nd. Look for the following:
VI7CL is a special event callsign that has been issued for activation of the Currie Lighthouse on King Island in Bass Strait. There is a team of 5 going there from mainland Australia. The callsign celebrates the centenary of the discovery and mining of Scheelite on the island.
VK9MI will be activating Macquarie Island Lighthouse, a very rare IOTA location.
* LIGHTHOUSE ACTIVITY FROM SOUTH AFRICA. Dennis, ZS4BS, provides the following list of South African lighthouses that will be activated during the International Lighthouse/Lightship weekend, August 21-22nd:
The Adventure Radio Club of Cape Town will be active as ZS1ARC from the Cape Columbine Lighthouse near Paternoster on the west coast.
The Boland Amateur Radio Club will be active as ZS1BAK from the L'Agulhas Lighthouse. L'Agulhas Lighthouse is the most southerly lighthouse on the African continent.
The Overberg Amateur Radio Club will operate from the Danger Point Lighthouse using the callsign ZS1OAR.
The Hibiscus Coast ARC will activate the Port Shepstone Lighthouse using the callsign ZS5HAC.
The Durban ARC will activate the Cooper Lighthouse with callsign ZS5D.
ADDED NOTE: There may be activity from Port Elizabeth and East London.
* Look for the PS7AA group to be active as ZV7AA in the ILLW from a lighthouse (ARLS-BRA-161, DFB-RN-07). Activity on CW/SSB/RTTY/PSK31. QSL via PS7AA.
The Mediterranean Islands Contest, which is organized by the Mediterraneo DX Club, will take place from 1200z, September 18th to 1200z, September 19th. The rules can be found on the following Web page at:
OH, FINLAND (IOTA and LH Op!)
A group of Latvian amateurs (YL2FB, YL2CI, YL2GQG and YL1ZF) will be active from the Etela-Suomi(Uusimaa) Province Group (EU-097) using callsign OH/YL2FB, August 15-19th. On Friday, if weather/wind condition are good enough, the group will move to Soderskar, an off-shore lighthouse FIN-057, to take a part in ILLW on August 20-21st. Operations from both locations are planned to be on all HF bands, including the WARC bands, CW/SSB/RTTY and utilizing wire antennas and GPs for the lower bands. They will also use multiband beams for 20 to 10 meters. They also plan VHF/UHF operation on 6m, 2m and 70cm as well. QTH locators are KO19JN and KP20QL, respectively. QSL via YL2FB.
QSL INFO AND NEWS
* Closing Pacific DX Logs. The following Pacific DX logs will be closed on the 1st of October 2004:
3D2JH (Fiji) From June 27, 1997, to August 3, 1997
C21JH (Nauru) From August 16th to September 4th, 1998, and from June 28, 1999, to December 17, 2000
T30JH (Western Kiribati) from February 21, 1998, to September 25, 2000
T33JH (Banaba) From July 20, 1997, to July 26, 1997.
So, if you need any cards for the above operations, now is the time to make your move before October 1st. QSL requests may be directed to VK2XQ (formerly VK2GJH): Mr. Jack D.Haden, PO Box 299, Ryde, NSW 1680, Australia. As Jack is not a member of the VK QSL bureau, all requests are to be direct only with sufficient funds for return postage.
* Pavel, OK1MU, informs OPDX that he still has about 500 full-colored QSL cards for his previous callsigns 5N0/OK1MU and 5N35/OK1MU. If someone still needs these QSL cards, requests can be sent via the OK Bureau or direct to OK1MU: Pavel Prihoda, Okruzni 331, Solnice 517 01, CZECH REPUBLIC.
* Bela, HA9SU, states that he now has his log online at:
* YV0D LOGS. The YV0D online log search is now up and running at:
All arrangements have been made for Willi/DJ7RJ and Klaus/DJ4SO to be on the air from Seychelles beginning October 3th, for 2 or 3 weeks. They will be operating as S79RJ (DJ7RJ) and S79SO (DJ4SO) on 40-6 meters, CW/SSB/RTTY/PSK31. Use of the 80 meter band has not been authorized, but they will be requesting permission to operate on 80 meters during the weekends (3505 kHz +/-). QSL via their home callsigns
Wojtek, SP5MXZ, is active as SV5/SP5MXZ from Rhodes Island until August 20th. Activity will be on 20 meters CW/SSB. QSL via his home callsign. During this past weekend, he was expected to operate as SX5A (from a local club station), but as this was being typed we saw no QSNs. Also, look for him to be active later in the week as J42004/SP5MXZ. QSL via his home callsign.
T98, BOSNIA AND HERZRGOVINA
Babs/DL7AFS, Lot/DJ7ZG and Chris/Z31GX will be active as T98LBC from September 2-12th. Activity will be on CW, SSB, RTTY and PSK31, on 160-6 meters. QSL via DL7AFS, by the German Bureau or direct. More information and pictures are availabe on their Web page at:
VP5, TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS (Update)
Operators KY1V, WA2PGM, K0RAY, N0VD and possibly others will be active as VP5X during the CQWW DX SSB Contest (October 30-31st) as a Multi-Single entry. QSL route is via OH3RB or W2GB. ADDED NOTE: KY1V is sponsoring another free trip for a young ham (See OPDX.671). For more details, please visit:
Before their T98 DXpedition (See T98 above), Babs/DL7AFS and Lot/DL7ZG will spend some holiday time in Macedonia. They are expected to be active as Z38Z for some days from there. Dates were not provided, but look for activity (soon) before September 2nd. If you had no luck to work them as Z38Z during May 2003, here is your chance to look for them again on the usual DX frequencies.
ZX35, BRAZIL (Special Callsign)
Look for Orlando, PT2OP, to be active as ZX35O (Zulu, X-ray, Three, Five, Oscar), between August 16th and September 16th, to celebrate his 35th anniversary as an amateur radio operator. Activity will be on all bands CW/SSB. QSL via PT2OP (direct or by the Bureau).
OPDX INTERNET HELP/SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST:
Help: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject:help
Subscribe: email@example.com Subject:subscribe
Unsubscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject:unsubscribe
OPDX WORLD-WIDE WEB HOME (provided by John, K8YSE (email@example.com):
ALSO VISIT THE NORTERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE:
Additional Bulletins for OPDX InterNet Subscribers